Friday, December 28, 2012

The Weather Station Project and Bad Design.



One of my projects has been to repair my weather station.  A year (or two??!!) ago, I took the station down because the anemometer was not working - the bearings were sticking, and the rain gauge was indicating dozens of inches of rain on dry days.  So I ordered another OWW (One Wire Weather) station - with just the anemometer, direction and temperature sensor device, hoping to repair the rain gauge.  The original  unit is 10 years old, and I wasn't certain the thing mechanically could be repaired.

Well, the new station arrived, and I decided to attempt to repair the old station first.  I used some WD40 to soak the bearings and then dried them, and applied some graphite to help with lubrication.  Got it working, and also was able to get the rain sensor working again as well. 

So then I (for ease of testing, mostly) downloaded the new (simple to use)  OWW station software.  The software I normally use is Weather-display, which supports virtually every computerized weather station hardware ever made, and has more features than can be imagined. It has the ability to interface with other software like HomeSeer, and many others.  It has a web page editor, ability to download weather forecasts/maps/photos/metars and more, can do email alerts, voice announcements of weather or alerts, and even will interface to my Envi Current cost power meter.  It takes quite a bit of time to get it setup the way I like it, so a simpler way of testing this new OWW station is nice.

So.  I really didn't pay too much attention to what was inside (I should've, though) - the case is clear.  One problem with the earlier version of this station is the housing is obviously  enclosed, which heats up, so the temperature is a couple of degrees too high on warm days.  I assumed the new one would be the same.  NOT.  WORSE.

The original OWW station uses ibutton sensors.  Dallas Semiconductor Corp. designed the ibutton, which is a computer chip with a sensor, and sometimes eprom/ram/electronic switches  in a small metal coin sized container, (although the guts are also available as chips).  It has a ground wire, and uses the second wire as both low speed data and 5v power.  The older station I have has a few sensor chips and reed relays to provide wind speed and direction, and a temperature sensor for temperature.  Very simple, effective, and it has worked really well.  And as with most devices, moving parts tend to wear, which is where the maintenance is going to happen. 



The NEW station.  I really don't know what the hell the designer was thinking when this thing was put down on paper.  Mechanically, its almost identical, same shape, except clear plastic where the first unit is white, and almost identical in size.  The new bus they are using has 8 wires, not 2.  (actually, the first used phone wire, so it used 4, so if  you wanted to run longer wires, the data and power could be separated).  The new bus provides two grounds, for power and data and 2x +5 and +12 v power.   It should be illegal for some people to be engineers.  This guy decided, gee, we could add a simple micro to this thing.  Keep in mind it has the same sensors as the original unit (which worked fine with a 70 foot cable).  I think the idea for the micro was to make the data more stable over longer distance cable runs. That makes sense, but what about the heat from the additional electronics, with regulators supplying power?  And also, lets make the case clear.  That's cool!  Since the case is clear, the micro, which is reading data from the sensors, can do other stuff.  Like turn the 20 super bright RED LEDs on and off.  And turn the 16 superbright blue LEDs on and off.  And flash them!!!!!!!   DAMN!  HOW COOL IS THAT??????  WOW!  Now I have to be concerned with 777 aircraft thinking I'm running a landing strip.  A BEACON that can probably be seen from space.  OH.  And something I never would have thought of - the temperature sensor is NO LONGER GOING TO FREEZE!  THIS IS FANTASTIC!  NOT. Its running almost 20 degrees warmer with the LED's on, and 10+ degrees warmer when flashing! WONDERFUL!  And even when the stupid LED's are off, the thing is still typically 4-5 degrees warmer than the actual temperature because of the additional electronics.



 I do believe I did not buy an extra weather station, I bought a space beacon!  Or, perhaps, parts to keep the old one working.  I'm sure as hell not putting that thing on my roof!



Art Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment